You can move objects between your TM1 instances by manually selecting the objects you want to migrate. This option gives you 100% flexibility to decide on what is included in the migration package. It also means that you can inadvertently miss some items that are may have been changed, because of this it is recommended that you use the source option whenever possible.
Below are the steps to create a migration package using the source control.
- Go to Migration > Create Package
- Select the Manual as the source for the package.
- Select the instance you want to migrate items from.
- Now you can select which objects you want to include in your package. Toggle between the different objects type using the radio buttons and then select the items using the checkbox in theIncluded column. Alternatively you can select objects in bulk by using the Filter and Add Filtered andRemove Filtered buttons.
To remove items either uncheck the box in the left hand panel or click on the X in the Selected Objects panel.
- You will be presented with a list of changes that have been identified matching the items selected in Step 4.
- Here you can review the files that are going to be included in the package, there can be 1 or 2 files depending on the type of object selected.
- After clicking Next you will be presented with the dependencies that Pulse has found for each object in the package. Pulse recursively finds dependencies so there may be many dependencies for each object selected. You have 3 options:
- Add or update the dependency on the target server.
- Add the dependency if the objects doesn't exist (default)
- Ignore the dependency. If you choose to ignore the dependency it is possible that the package will fail to execute.
- You can choose to include/exclude dependencies as required, however it is recommended that you include all dependencies.
- Now you can save the package, you must provide a name for the package and also a description. There are two types of packages that can be created:
- Live Update (Hot Promote): Creates a package that can be executed on a running TM1 instance. These packages do not migrate cube data, views or subsets but provide less down time as a restart is not required.
- Offline Update (Cold Promote): Creates a package that contains the native TM1 files that can be copied to the target data directory once TM1 has been stopped. Cube data, views, subsets and all of the other TM1 objects can be migrated in this way. This is the traditional way TM1 objects have been migrated and allows Pulse to fit into your existing process.